Nowy Wiśnicz Castle as a defensive residence
The Wiśnicz Castle, standing on a wooded hill above the Leksandrówka River, was erected by Jan Kmita in the second half of the 14th century as a defensive residence. It belonged to the mighty Kmita family until the death of Piotr Kmita V in 1553, the grand marshal of the Crown and political supporter of Queen Bona.
Stanisław Lubomirski founding New Wiśnicz
In 1593, the castle was bought by Sebastian Lubomirski, and later inherited by his son Stanisław, the most prominent of the family. He was the owner of 18 cities, over 300 villages and 163 farms.
In 1616 Stanisław Lubomirski at the foot of the castle founded the city of Nowy Wiśnicz, funding among others parish church and town hall. In the years 1615-1621, he rebuilt the castle and surrounded it with a bastion fortification on the pentagonal plan.
Although the Wiśnicz castle became one of the best fortified in the country it failed to resist the Swedes during the invasion in 1655. This ended the greatest period of splendor of the castle, it was looted and devastated. The Swedes deprived it of 35 cannons and, according to sources, they took away as many as 150 carts of valuables.
The castle belonged to the Lubomirski family until 1720, later it became the property of Sanguszko, Potocki and Zamoyscy families. After a fire in 1831, it changed almost to ruin. Its restoration began only after 1949. Today it is owned by the State Treasury and houses an interesting museum, reminding of its splendor.
Visiting the Nowy Wiśnicz Castle
The body of the castle, built on a square plan with an internal courtyard has elements of Renaissance, Baroque and Gothic. From a distance, the building looks like a huge castle, with shapes varied by square and round towers, extensions or arcades. Particularly interesting are the vaults, especially with bats living there. 🙂